|Posted on 20 November, 2018 at 11:00||comments (1)|
5 Top Tips To Reduce Anxiety
Anxiety is generally quite an unpleasant thing to experience, I think most sufferers would agree with that.
One of the worse things about suffering from anxiety is that its very easy to slip into a vicious circle of ever increasing anxiety by worrying about the very fact that you are experiencing anxiety !
There are many ways to break the cycle of worrying thoughts but here I am listing the ones that I think work well for most.
- H.A.L.T this means just stop for a minute and ask yourself, am I hungry, angry, lonley or tired? Any one of these can lead to anxiety and you may be able to easily and quickly stem the tide of anxious thoughts by addressing this.
- Notice your breathing, is it shallow and 'high' in your chest? Take a little time to take three long and slow deep breaths, all the way down so that your abdomen moves when you breathe. Just three, thats all then change your focus
- Remind yourself that anxiety will pass eventually, it always has and it always will
- Know that you are not alone and reach out to someone for support whether thats a friend, family member, medical professional, telephone helpline or a social media support group - just reach out
- Distract yourself with an activity when you notice your anxious feelings. Immersing yourself in a funny movie, or doing a jigsaw, or some gardening or just going for a walk ...
Ok strictly speaking there are 9 tips as number one contains 4 but I'm not going to worry about it if you're not !